We are right in the midst of the winter flu season and I know it has been traveling around the neighborhood, visiting my house and my neighbor’s houses. Well, what can we do about it? How do we protect ourselves and our loved one’s? How do we hasten recovery? Having just gone through this in my household, I would like to share some defensive and offensive strategies that may be helpful to you. Here are some ideas of homeopathic and folk remedies for colds and flus.
The best offense is a healthy body? How do you get that? Eat right; sleep well and sufficiently; exercise to keep the chi, or vital energy moving; pay heed to your spiritual life; nurture your relationships; and be on a good homeopathic constitutional remedy.
Let’s say you are doing all of this, but yet you wake up one morning, and your nose is running, or you notice a cough that wasn’t there before. This may be the first sign of a cold starting. There are various things you can do to try to nip the cold in the bud at the incipient stage. Here are a few suggestions:
What to take at the First Sign of a Cold or Flu
1) Take Windbreaker. Windbreaker is a combination Chinese herbal formula put out by Kan Herbs and formulated for children, but of benefit to people of all ages. This formula is only available by prescription, so please let me know if you are interested in this for your family. Many of my clients and their families are using this herbal formula and finding that it does the trick. From my experience it does not interfere with homeopathic remedies.
2) Take Occilocinum. This is a homeopathic remedy, which does help some people when taken at the first sign of a cold or a flu to prevent it. I prefer, however, that if you are already on a homeopathic constitutional remedy, that you do not take Occilococinum, because it can interfere with your remedy. If you are on a remedy, it is best to consult your homeopath to see if you need a repetition of your constitutional remedy or an acute remedy for the cold or flu. Please see my articles on the Swine flu, Influenza, and Chinese herbs and homeopathy for colds and flus.
Supplements to Take if you Haven’t been Able to Stop the Cold at the Incipient Stage
Here is a list of supplements that can help strengthen your body if the cold has already established itself. I got this list off of the internet in an article about the dangers of the Flu Shot by Greg Ciola. The link is: http://www.healthtruthrevealed.com. The article describes the risk of the flu shot very well and goes into detail about the supplements that I will just list below:
Essential Fatty Acids
Essential Oils (may interfere with homeopathic remedies)
Grapefruit Seed Extract
Mushroom Extracts (Shiitake, Reishi, D-Fraction Maitake)
Olive Leaf Extract
Call on Homeopathy When You Really Need Help Fighting the Cold or the Flu
Let’s say you are really struggling with this illness and need to bring in the big guns. If you did not know about homeopathy you might be going to the doctor wanting antibiotics, but you do know about homeopathy, and you know that you can turn this cold or flu to your advantage and even have better health than you had before if you get the right remedy into you.
1) If you are very fortunate and you know your constitutional remedy, because you have been on it for awhile and have seen improvements in all levels of your being, then repeating the constitutional remedy in water may be just the ticket out from the grips of this acute illness. Homeopathic remedies have the power to turn a bad cold or flu around very rapidly. You should see substantial improvement within 24 to 36 hours of repeating your constitutional remedy, and sometimes much faster than that.
2) This particular cold or flu may actually call for an acute miasm remedy, such as Aconite and Belladonna, or for a typhoid miasm remedy, such as Ipecacuanha (a wonderful remedy for acute bronchitis, or Nux vomica. Some of our wonderful flu remedies, like Gelsemium, Bryonia and Eupatorium perforliatum may be just the ticket. It’s best to consult your homeopath to see whether what you need is your constitutional remedy repeated, or an acute remedy, or a flu remedy for this particular illness.
3) Sometimes in homeopathy you are treating disease layers, and an acute illness can herald a need for a new remedy. Much valuable information can be gathered at this time that can benefit your overall health, so regard this cold or a flu as a friend and as an opportunity to treat to help further your health along.
I would like to leave the wonderful people I have met in my years of service with an inspirational message by Thomas Merton.
“To allow oneself to be carried away
by a multitude of conflicting concerns,
To surrender to too many demands,
To commit oneself to too many projects,
To want to help everyone with everything
Is to succumb to violence.”
In love and service,